Aug 8, 2013

How to Isolate a Summer Flower Blossom against an Attractive Background

It is always exiting when I find a floral photography object with a surrounding setting that I can beautifully isolate against an attractive background. My last picture of this kind I found just down the street in a neighbors' garden where I captured this glorious purple, pink or red flower in front of the yellow and green background.


The contrasting color of this summer flower blossom in front of the yellow dominated background immediately drew me in. The morning light sun kissed the flower while the background was made out of Black-Eyed Susan flowers. The wind made the experience a bit iffy but through persistent shooting eventually rewarded me with a sharp in focus image. Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4.0L IS USM lens with a Canon 1.4x Teleconverter and Canon EOS D7 camera were mounted on a Gitzo tripod. The camera aperture was set to f/5.6 resulting in an exposure time of 1/360 seconds. The large aperture setting (Small f-stop number) provided the limited Depth of Field to blur out the yellow flowers in the background nicely. During the post processing I minimally adjusted lighting, contrast and color saturation before sharpening the final Flower Photography picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment